Slipping

I’m back hanging out with My Fitness Frenemy.  It sucks to be logging my food once again, but I need something to keep me honest.  I have been slipping.

I start out with good intentions with all the healthier living stuff.  For instance, I wanted to get more sleep, so we instated the “devices off by 10:45 pm” rule.  In addition, we would read from 10:45 to 11:15 pm, then get ready for bed and have the lights off by 11:30 pm.  The first few nights, everything went according to plan.  Devices and screens were off by 10:45 pm.  We read books.  The lights went off.  I fell asleep easier.  All was well.

And then the creep started.  First it was devices that were still on at 10:50 pm.  Then it was checking email one last time before I went to bed after reading for a half hour.  Then it was opting for the television episode instead of the book because it was Daredevil Monday.  (I’m assuming everyone celebrates Daredevil Monday, which is the most sacred day of the week, dedicated to all things Daredevil from the comic books to the television series.)

And now our evenings are a mish-mash where sometimes we’re fantastic about getting to bed on time, and sometimes we suck, and our nights look very much as they did before we instated the rule.  That’s what I mean by slipping.

The same thing happened with SuperBetter.  I went from doing all the exercises everyday, to doing the exercises sometimes, to doing the exercises every once in a while, to having three good days in a row and then a week of nothing.

Or wishing happiness to others.  The alarm still goes off every hour on the hour, and most of the time I send out my happiness wish, though I’ve had a few moments where I have snarled into the silence of the house, “I don’t wish anyone else happiness at this moment, universe, YOU JUST INTERRUPTED MY CHAIN OF THOUGHT.”

It’s not that hard to enter my food and exercise in My Fitness Pal.  It’s a few clicks several times a day.  I know seeing it in black and white helps me to make good decisions, and at this point, I’m over the hump; that difficult period where you’re hungry all the time because your stomach needs to get accustomed to the smaller amount of food.  So I’m not sure why I allow things to slip over and over again, especially knowing that I am generally happier when I follow the plan.

So this is it: Anchoring myself here in healthy living land.  I think.

1 Middle Girl { 12.07.16 at 7:47 am }

Good luck. I can relate.

2 Charlotte { 12.07.16 at 7:52 am }

Uuuugh. I SO understand this, especially about the food/healthier living thing. WHY is it so flipping hard??? Every day I wake up to try, and I’m usually derailed by lunch. A couple weeks ago I had a Monday of all days where I was absolutely perfect and on point and even drank all my water and went with no coffee. It’s been all downhill from there since. So I know I CAN do it, but I can’t figure out why it’s not sustainable.
Maybe I will jump on MFP with you.

3 A.M.S. { 12.07.16 at 8:25 am }

If you find you need a buddy to help you, let me know. Since losing access to an easy gym (and having a major time distraction who needs regular naps and who I find hard to leave with strangers) I put on a ton of weight. On top of that, my cholesterol numbers suck. I can’t do much exercise until I get the walking cast off, and I can take any medications still, so I need to be zealous about my diet.

I’m going to be logging back in because I need to be accountable to someone, even if it’s just an app. I suck at this, though. It makes me annoyed, which makes me want cheese toast.

4 torthuil { 12.07.16 at 9:25 am }

Good for you for trying all those things for healthier life. I find that I can be really strict about one thing and then the rest I try my best, but I can’t have too many expectations. My personality can only handle so much attention to detail and schedules then I just rebel against it all.

5 Cristy { 12.07.16 at 1:25 pm }

Establishing routines are hard. Especially when the temptations seem sweet than the reward. The creep is particularly tough because we can quickly justify it. There’s also something of an adrenaline rush with these small cheats.

Don’t beat yourself up too much, but I am wishing you the best as you get back into the saddle.

6 Sharon { 12.07.16 at 1:34 pm }

I think that most of us struggle with similar things. Tracking on MFP helps me stay accountable.

I was in a good habit of exercising 5-6 days a week until I had some dermatological surgery in October and had to take a few weeks off. Now I am struggling to get back into the habit. Ugh.

7 katherinea12 { 12.07.16 at 2:34 pm }

Good luck with working on establishing the routines you want to get into (or back into as the case may be). Someone once told me it takes 21 days to establish a habit, I’ve discovered – at least for me – it usually takes double to triple that if it’s something truly new and not merely a minor modification or offshoot of something I’m already doing. Which sort of sucks, honestly. Thinking of you and hoping it goes well.

8 Click { 12.07.16 at 3:03 pm }

I can relate to the slipping. Mr Click and I got really good about being healthy and tracking food and all that jazz. Then Christmas started creeping up on us and it’s slowly gone out the window.

I’m hoping we can get a little better as we get closer to Christmas and get back into a normal routine.

9 Mali { 12.08.16 at 3:25 am }

This is the story of my life! Though undoubtedly you will be doing better than me. I salute you.

10 Northern Star { 12.08.16 at 4:43 pm }

Fitness Frenemy and I have also rekindled our relationship. It’s good… but it would be better had I not eaten all that food for all those months, forcing me back into this relationship! I get it!

11 Jillian { 01.01.17 at 10:52 pm }

Just spent the entire evening reading Dark Matter and now I’m afraid to get up and go move because myself might walk in the door!! Mind blown!