Merry Christmas

Pssst… are you up?  Are you awake?  What are you doing?  Are you eating something special for Christmas?  Are you wearing Christmas pyjamas?  You are, aren’t you?

Have you opened gifts yet?  Did anything surprise you, or did you sort of know what was underneath the tree?

What are you doing now?  How about now?  And now?

I am actually not as bored as I sound.  I really like Christmas because it is the one day a year that you know nothing will be open, no one will be working, and you can pretty much play video games for 12 hours straight with zero consequences.

Actually, that is what I did last year.  This year, I will still play video games for a little bit, but I’m mostly working through 501 essentially backgammon problems.  Every year I like to set a goal for myself, and this year’s goal is to become a good enough backgammon player to consistently beat the computer on the hardest setting.  A secondary goal is to start competing.  A tertiary goal is to become the best backgammon player in the world before 2018.  I like to aim high.

I hope you are having a relaxing day if you’re celebrating Christmas or not.  That you’re keeping warm (or cool if you live in the Southern Hemisphere) and eating good food and reading books and being with friends or family.

So what are you doing now?

1 Magpie { 12.25.16 at 7:34 am }

Right this very minute I am waiting for my people to get out of bed! But I am drinking coffee and amusing myself by adding Santa to pictures of my siblings’ trees.

2 Mrs. Gamgee { 12.25.16 at 7:37 am }

Sitting on the couch in the quiet… it’s 5:30am here. The tree lights are on and all is ready for when the wee-lings wake up. I’ll have to go back to bed soon, so that they can wake us up when they get up. But for now, it is peaceful. Snow is (still) falling and nothing is moving outside. It’s a beautiful moment.

3 A.M.S. { 12.25.16 at 8:06 am }

Everything is open, French toast casserole is in the oven. One wee one is making her Mii, the other is walking around alternating singing “La la la” and shouting “I love my kitty!” at her new stuffed cat.

It’s a good start to the morning.

Enjoy your backgammon!

4 a { 12.25.16 at 8:32 am }

We just had breakfast and now I’m waiting to see what my girl thinks of her gifts from Santa and from us.

5 Beth { 12.25.16 at 9:19 am }

Having a lovely break right now, sitting on the couch and listening to the girls sing to their baby dolls and tell each other how happy they are. Sometimes I seriously can’t believe this is my life. Later will be family and probably stress but then we can come home to this again so i am happy too.

6 torthuil { 12.25.16 at 9:19 am }

Lying in bed. Husband showering. Toddler sleeping still (or at least very quiet). Feeling rather bad about my probably dud cycle. Googling 100 things and learning nothing (as usual). But hoping I can get over it quickly as we have a fun day planned. I kind of know what’s under the tree as I had lots of requests but there will probably be some surprises too. Merry Christmas!

7 Jill { 12.25.16 at 9:31 am }

Honestly? I’ve crashed into an anti-climactic stupor. Moved across the country in September, and it’s been a whirlwind ever since…right up until this moment. Now, I’m just dreaming of the moment I can sneak off with a good book and few minutes to myself! Peace on earth to everyone!

8 35jupiterdrive { 12.25.16 at 9:52 am }

A friend in college’s step-father was a competitive backgammon player and, as I recall, he made a lot of money at it! (He’d go places like Monte Carlo to play – which is where the world championships are held, I just found out, so he must have been even better than I knew.)

I do a similar sort of goal: to learn something new each year. This year, my goal is to get competent at the ukulele. I had a headstart and then put the instrument down for about a year. By 2018 I want to be good enough to busk.

I don’t really do much to celebrate Christmas, but it’s a big deal for my brother, where I am today. So we’ll exchange gifts, but otherwise, we’ll probably spend time reading. Reading & figuring out the new blog, etc., for 2017, for me.

Enjoy your day!

9 Cristy { 12.25.16 at 10:24 am }

Laying on the couch post mayhem (He-Beat let us sleep until 6:30 am, which was a treat). Semi quiet now as they are playing with all their new toys and talking to each other about Santa (a new concept this new).

My goal is to rest as much as possible given what is waiting for me come Tuesday. Will write about it all soon.

10 Jen@FrugalSteppingStones { 12.25.16 at 11:58 am }

The kids are playing with their gifts and I already have a beef roast and cream corn in the slow cookers, the first part of the Tuxedo Cake baked, and beer bread in the oven. I am going to make mashed potatoes in the Instant Pot, a crustless pumpkin pie, and whip the cream and make ganache for the cake. I love cooking and baking. I will probably be playing Candy Crush today too.

11 April { 12.25.16 at 12:31 pm }

We are hanging out at home until time to head down to my family in WV for Christmas dinner. We had our Christmas with J yesterday and with his side of the family last night. I’m still in my jammies eating cookies and drinking tea while watching Doctor Who and counting down to the new episode tonight.

12 chandni { 12.26.16 at 3:43 am }

I just hit publish on my microblog post about a secret santa activity I was a part of for Christmas and landed here after I searched frantically to hunt for this week’s Microblog linky 🙂
Are you not opening it up this week for entries?

13 Stephanie (Travelcraft Journal) { 12.27.16 at 4:07 pm }

Haha! I wish I’d seen this Christmas Day. I was avoiding the internet and depressingly sappy photos of children opening presents. But this little corner of the web is always lovely.

14 loribeth { 12.29.16 at 5:27 pm }

I first read this while I was eating breakfast on Christmas morning. I wasn’t wearing Christmas pajamas, just my regular nightgown. We opened our presents to each other on Christmas Eve, but the stockings we hung up (OK, placed on the floor under & around the Christmas tree) were filled by Santa; we were waiting for the Little Princesses to arrive to open those. (And for my mother to stuff the turkey & get it into the oven.)

Now we are back home, making dinner & recuperating from our trip & all the excitement, lol. Christmas tree is still up. 🙂 I’ll probably leave it up until after New Year’s, if not for Ukrainian Christmas.