Radio Radio

I have a deep, abiding love for BBC programming, so when an email arrived from a producer with the subject line “BBC request,” my first thought was, “Oh my G-d, they totally know how I feel about them and it’s muuuuuutuuuuuual.”  Like we were middle schoolers and the BBC had asked me out and I had said yes so now we were going steady.

Except being their one and only was not the request.  The producer just needed me to be on a panel.  Oh.  Yeah.  No, I get it.  This love is one-sided.

Story of my life, BBC, story of my life.

The producer, who had the greatest accent of all time (I know because we ended up jumping on the phone), asked me to be on a panel for The Food Chain, to speak about being a lifelong vegetarian raising meat eaters.  He found me due to an old blog post about explaining my vegetarianism to the kids.

So I went down to a nearby iHeartRadio station and they patched me into London.  It was my first time being in a recording studio, and the kind man at iHeartRadio had a lot of misplaced faith in my ability to choose the correct buttons on the enormous computer board.  But I got through it and hopefully said smart-sounding things.

bbc

Afterward, the guy at iHeartRadio gave me a tour of the station, which was a lot of fun because they have a ton of machines with colourful cords and flashing lights.  It was just cool to see the space where shows are being produced and then drive home listening to said shows.

If you would like to listen to the episode, it was released yesterday so you can grab it on iTunes or wherever you listen to podcasts (the episode is called “Vegan Babies: Should You Restrict Your Child’s Diet?”), or you can listen on the BBC site.  You know, the BBC (my boyfriend).

1 Cristy { 10.23.16 at 9:51 am }

I’m insanely excited, both to see you in a radio booth and to hear about this topic! The topic of feeding choices is still many are grappling with and it’s always good to hear from those who are making choices that fall outside box A, B or C.

Plus you are rocking those earphones.

2 Beth { 10.23.16 at 9:59 am }

So cool!

3 Lori Lavender Luz { 10.23.16 at 11:18 am }

Love this pic! I never get to see you enough.

Or hear you. Gonna listen now.

4 Working mom of 2 { 10.23.16 at 9:24 pm }

As a vegan mom with two healthy vegan kids, the title makes me cringe. “Restrict”-ha. My kids want for nothing by and there’s a vegan version of just about everything you can think of. That with “should” implies that vegan families are doing something dangerous. I just clicked over, ugh, the summary is worse.

5 Holly { 10.23.16 at 11:58 pm }

I’m a vegetarian raising carnivores, too. I really wish they would all just convert to my way….

6 Justine Levine { 10.24.16 at 10:08 am }

Whoa! That is so cool! And you look totally at home there. 🙂

7 Mali { 10.24.16 at 9:27 pm }

I haven’t listened yet, but that is awesome! I’m so looking forward to being able to hear your voice. It’s weird, having all these online friends and not knowing what most of them sound like.

8 a { 10.25.16 at 1:45 pm }

Thanks for being the voice of reasonableness there – It always feels like people who choose a particular diet are sort of smug about how much better/healthier it is. Instead, you were advocating the “whatever works for you and your family” stance, which is (IMO) a necessary addition to any conversation. (I could only listen to about half, because the pause button on BBC’s player was not accessible for some reason, and I had to leave my computer.) I also thought that the vegan was missing the dietitians’ point – not everyone who decides to be vegetarian or vegan and wants their children to live that way makes a careful consideration of the varied foods needed to meet basic nutritional standards. Or, not everyone has access to all the foods they need to ensure the proper nutritional content. And that it takes serious commitment that some people are not able to follow through on, because convenience sometimes trumps everything.

At any rate – great job (from what I heard)! And your “that doesn’t belong in my mouth” approach makes the most sense to me. Usually, I just shrug off the “animals are our friends” stuff (they’re not – or that’s pretty much a one-sided view) or the “it’s healthier” view (it’s not always – it depends on how your metabolism works. There aren’t enough beans in the world to fuel my husband’s protein requirements). But “it’s not actually food to me” is completely understandable.

9 Charlotte { 10.25.16 at 9:27 pm }

This is so awesome Mel! I did get to listen to it and I am glad you brought a very grounded voice to the conversation. I think it’s cool how you described fixing the meals so everyone can sort of eat what they like from it. What a cool experience for you to have!!