1 Simple Thing You Can Do to Strengthen Your Blog

I wrote a post over on BlogHer about 5 lessons you can take away from long-writing bloggers, and while I think all the lessons are worth reading, I’ll pique your interest with a single idea that you can put into action today:

Separate your posts into two categories: current events and evergreen topics.

Current events are things happening in your life or the larger world right now.  It makes no sense to post them two weeks from now because you need the support today.  It doesn’t make a lot of sense to post about Christmas menus in August, and once NIAW is gone, the #StartAsking posts will drop off.  Those are all current events.

Evergreen topics are posts you could write that aren’t really connected to time.  You could post them this week or you could post them next week, and it really makes no difference.  Like this post.  I mean, I’m posting it today because the post went up on BlogHer, but if that post went up in October, this post would have gone up in October, too.  Responses to articles (unless they’re currently a hot topic), ideas you want to explore, moments you’ve noticed: Those are all evergreen posts.

So this is how I explained it on BlogHer:

High-traffic bloggers tend to mix up their content, balancing evergreen topics with current events. Why do they do this? For lasting Google juice coupled with traffic surges.

Evergreen topics are ones that you put up and they keep getting hits long into the future. They aren’t time-sensitive — you could run them on any day of any month. They’re the things people Google for all the time: How to Make Your Own Baby Food, 5 Reasons You Need to Stop Playing Candy Crush, 10 Things You Need to Know About Hulu.

Current events are whatever is on peoples’ minds today. Look at what is trending on Twitter. That is what people want to know about today. Or talk about today. Those posts tend to temporarily spike your traffic and then fizzle out after the moment is over. And that’s fine: They engaged people when you needed them to engage people.

Do you do this?  Are you going to start now?

You can read the other 4 lessons in the main post.

1 torthuil { 05.01.16 at 10:14 am }

What exactly do you mean by “separate”? Label? Post at different times? Provide links? I’m not clear on that….

(I’m interested in anything that improves organization or access. Although I have no ambitions for my blog and no particular interest in expanding its audience. And I am never going on Twitter.)

2 Mel { 05.01.16 at 10:51 am }

Mentally separate. Think of yourself as having two (or really, three, if you click over to read the post) types of posts that you write: the ones that are time sensitive and the ones that are not time sensitive. Hold the ones that are not time sensitive for times when you’re busy so you still have posts going up on your blog. Use the ones that are time sensitive immediately. By keeping that balance, you not only always have content going up, but you also have surges in traffic (which sometimes result in new readers) coupled with stable traffic from posts that will continue to be useful into the future.

3 torthuil { 05.01.16 at 12:37 pm }

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks

4 Jen@FrugalSteppingStones { 05.01.16 at 2:22 pm }

I do this now, but I don’t think I always did. I notice that most of my traffic from Pinterest comes from evergreen posts, which makes sense. Of course, now I will always think of them as “evergreens”.

5 Lori Lavender Luz { 05.01.16 at 4:06 pm }

I do, though I haven’t done so by design. It’s a terrific distinction and I’ll keep it in mind now and in the future. Going to re-read and share the BlogHer post. The other 4 lessons rock, as well.

6 Mali { 05.01.16 at 10:24 pm }

I do this, but unconsciously! I often think if there’s an event I can blog about it, and save another post for another day when my blogging mojo has gone awol. I’m trying to set up a blogging schedule at the moment, and it’s helping to look at that.

7 Jamie { 05.04.16 at 3:47 am }

It is one reason why it has been my goal to break the habit of back posts. It is not so much that I am trying to build an audience, but that it is helpful to get support or cheerleaders in real-time. I am appreciative when people leave comments, and I try to return the kindness.