That Time I Almost Saw the Real Harry Potter

Yesterday was September 1st. You know what happens on September 1st, right? Hogwarts Express? Toot toot? All aboard?

But do you know what was special about yesterday’s Hogwarts Express trip?

Stop right now if you haven’t read Book 7.  There are spoilers below.  You’ve been warned.

Yesterday’s trip was the trip alluded to at the end of Book 7 when Harry’s first son, James Sirius, went to Hogwarts.  The trip at the end of Book 7 was two years from now (2017) when Albus Severus will go to Hogwarts, but yesterday’s trip was the one that took his older brother, James, to school.  And yes, James was sorted into Gryffindor in case you were wondering.

Which means that Ginny and Harry were having their first son right around the time I was having the twins.  Had my kids gotten their owl (and no, they didn’t get their owl this year), I would have been on the platform with freakin’ Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley.  Teddy Lupin would have been going back to Hufflepuff for another year.  Victoire would have been there on the platform, snogging Teddy.

If the twins’ owls had come, I could have been in London this week, seeing the real Harry Potter.

It feels special to know that Ginny and I were building our families at the same time.  That we were having the same fears or the same thoughts around the same time.  I’ve always liked that girl, but I think I like her a little bit extra now.

And it feels nice to know that for the next 7 years, my kids will be the same age as the kids standing on Platform 9 3/4 every September 1st.

1 Mina { 09.02.15 at 7:26 am }

I love you. That’s all. 😍😘🚂

2 illustr8d { 09.02.15 at 7:46 am }

What Mina said.

3 Chickenpig { 09.02.15 at 8:09 am }

My daughter was born on July 31st. This year she has been told about 100 times that she has Harry Potter’s birthday…and she still doesn’t want to read the books!!! 🙁 My kids are evil.

4 Heidi { 09.02.15 at 8:18 am }

I have the chills!!! That is so amazing!

5 Sarah { 09.02.15 at 8:25 am }

I love this!

6 Valery Valentina { 09.02.15 at 8:55 am }

I love spoilers (because I never get around to watching the full movies and I can’t seem to get myself to the library and read a proper book)

7 Turia { 09.02.15 at 9:20 am }

I love that you figured all of this out. I wish your children had received their owls.

I can remember the first time I read Book 7 and got to the end, and after I got over the annoyance at just how BAD that last chapter was (both writing and plot, especially compared to the rest of Book 7), I figured out how old they all were. And my overriding impression was (and still is) that they had their kids impossibly young. It just seemed so completely and utterly alien to me. And that feeling of bewilderment has never left me, even though I read the books every year.

8 a { 09.02.15 at 9:23 am }
9 And "G" { 09.02.15 at 9:38 pm }

Anything HP makes me smile. The clash of fiction and reality is awesome! Thanks for the additional HP link, a! I very much agree with Turia. An unnecessary addition to the epic, but I always rationalized it by thinking “It’s a YA story. Perhaps people younger than me feel a stronger need for seeing the story come full-circle.”
So glad the twins will forever have that tie to JK’s world!
Thanks for sharing yours!

10 No Baby Ruth { 09.03.15 at 4:09 am }

I saw JKR’s tweet about James and thought that there was no way that was possible. How have so many years passed already? Although, I also have to agree with Turia that they all had their kids incredibly young…

And… just for argument’s sake… if your kids WERE to “get an owl” don’t you think it would be for a school stateside? Surely if there are schools all over Europe (Durmstrang and Beauxbatons and the like) then there has to be one here, right?

11 Rachel { 09.03.15 at 6:38 am }

Love this post!!! It blows my mind to imagine them old enough just to have children (let alone children old enough to go to Hogwarts!). Growing up reading HP was one of the most magical experiences of my life and I have such a soft spot for HP and all things related….I can’t help it, I used to go to bed praying I’d wake up in HPs world…LOL. So don’t surprised if my first child is name Harry Junior or something (who are we kidding, I’d pick something unique like Nymphadora). As it is, the Fuzz’s real name is Luna Lovegood (lol). Hopefully you don’t read this and determine we can’t be friends anymore…lol

12 Jjiraffe { 09.03.15 at 2:32 pm }

Aw. Sweet post.

Ginny is my biggest problem with the books. She’s too Mary Sue for my liking. Know I’m in the minority…