IComLeavWe: September 2013
Welcome back to IComLeavWe. It stands for International Comment Leaving Week, but if you say it aloud, doesn’t it sounds like “I come; [but] leave [as a] we”? And that’s sort of the point. Blogging is a conversation and comments should be honoured and encouraged. I like to say that comments are the new hug–a way of saying hello, giving comfort, leaving congratulations.
Here is the vital information, pure and simple (a more detailed set of rules follows below the list):
- The list opens the 1st of every month. It remains open until the 21st. You can add yourself at any point. The list is open to everyone in the blogosphere–blog writers and/or blog readers.
- Add yourself to the list by filling out this form after adding the icon below: The September list is now closed. The October list will open on 9/27.
- Click here to cut-and-paste this bit of code to add to your sidebar (if you have the old code from another month, remove it and replace it with this one). You need to add the icon or a link to the current list on your blog (see below) and will not be added until it’s up.
- Commenting kicks off every month on the 21st. Please mark it somewhere (calendar, post-it note taped to your computer…), though I will be sending out an email reminder on the 20th. Commenting week runs from the 21st to the 28th. Every day, leave 5 comments and return 1 comment for a total of 6 comments. You are highly encouraged to choose the blogs you comment on from the participants list below, but this is not required.
- I will send a second email on the 28th to remind you to remove the icon from your blog.
- Read below if you want to find out about Iron Commenters.
- The commenting ends on the 28th. We catch our breath and the whole thing starts again the next month on the 1st. Drop in and out according to what is happening in your life between the 21st and the 28th.
- Stirrup Queens (twins, books, writing)
- Invincible Spring (recurrent loss, IVF, life)
- The 2 Week Wait (infertility motherhood humor)
- One Step at a Time (baby after infertility)
- Stupid Broken Eggs (infertility, faith, marriage )
- Dangled Carat (relationships, dating, marriage)
- Feeling Beachie (life, humor, cats)
- Comatised (love, life, happiness)
- Our New Normal with Z (adoption, family, life)
- Inconception (child-free for now)
- Breathe Gently (new-mum, IVF, PCOS)
- Reading Each Page (parenting after infertility)
- Waiting for Baby (pregnancy, PCOS, thyroid)
- Airplanes From Heaven (stillbirth, faith, living children)
- BattleFish (parenting after infertility)
- My journey through infertility, pregnancy & loss (infertility, loss, pregnancy)
- Where the Bleep Is Our Stork (ttc, pcos, truth)
- Baby On Mind (embryo adoption, infertility, 40+)
- Penguins of mine (infertility, loss, drawing)
- Old Lady and No Baby (pregnant with twins, egg donor)
- How I Spend My Dash (twins, parenting, life)
- A Little Bit More (infertility, life, pcos)
- Life of an Army Wife (donor gametes, army, crafting)
- InfertilityLand Is Not Like Disneyland (infertility, loss, progress)
- Mama Asterisk (adoption, balancing life)
- In Due Time (faith, hope, health)
- Faire Faire (iui, life, etc.)
- Just Another Infertility Blog (early pregnancy after infertility and loss)
- Hobbit-ish Thoughts & Ramblings (diabetes, books, parenting after IF/RPL)
- Emma in Mommyland (SAHM, toddler, pregnancy)
- Creating a Family (infertility, adoption, adoptive parenting)
- My Journey to Motherhood (uterine malformation, UU, life)
- Our Journey to Cameroon (ministry, faith, pregnant after loss)
- Gypsy Mama (IUI, adoption, life)
- Ask An Infertile (infertility, pregnancy loss, ttc)
- Ready Now To See it Your Way (miscarriage,marriage, kids)
- Dogs Aren’t Kids (infertility mfi rants)
- Two Adults, One Child (secondary infertility, parenting, running)
- In Quest of a Binky Moongee (TTC, IVF, faith)
- Sensitive Ginger (infertility, hippie stuff)
- ImagesByCW (photography, fine art, travel)
- Work is for Suckers (IUI, loss, books)
- Dragondreamer’s Lair (parenting, crafts/DIY, secondary infertility)
- Life in the White House (triplets, life, creating)
- Sweet Dreams are Made of This (waiting to adopt)
- Stepping Stones (step-parenting, newly pregnant)
- Recurrent Loss and Moving Forward (surrogacy, grieving, loss of fertility)
- Baby Makin’ (PCOS, TTC baby #1)
- Wistfulgirl’s World (fostering, adoption, life)
- Poemfish (adoption, parenting, personal growth crap)
- The September list is now closed. The October list will open on 9/27.
Q: What if I miss a day?
A: Catch up the next day by doubling your comments–12 comments instead of 6.
Q: What if I have two blogs? Can I sign up twice, listing both blogs?
A: Yes, but you also need to double your comments. If you have two blogs listed, you should be leaving 12 comments per day.
Q: What is an Iron Commenter?
A: Not for the faint-of-heart. People who wish to be an Iron Commenter and be entered on the Iron Commenter honour roll need to leave a comment on every blog on the participants list (exceptions are blogs that require you to have a special log-in, such as some LiveJournal accounts or other similar situations). You can spread out this commenting any way you wish over the whole week, but the final comment needs to be left by midnight on the 28th (EST). Reaching Iron Commenter status is done on an honour system. Please email me if you earn Iron Commenter status so I can add you to the wall of honour.
Q: Why do I have to add that bit of code to my sidebar?
A: The code is the latest icon (the icon changes colour every month so you know that you’re on the right list). This month, the icon is red, the next month it will be orange, etc. The reason is two-fold: (1) it enables more people to find out about IComLeavWe and (2) it gives you easy access to the current list once the commenting week actually begins and better ensures that you’ll use it. Too many times, people sign up and forget to actually do IComLeavWe and this icon gives you a daily reminder (with the dates on it) every time you open your own blog. The icon is linked back to the current list. On the 28th, remove the icon from your blog. A new one will be created for the next month.
Q: It’s the 23rd and I just saw this for the first time on my friend’s blog! I want to join the list–why can’t I?
A: Because IComLeavWe happens every month, once the list is closed, it’s closed. If you’re finding out about this on the 23rd, you can’t join the current month. But leave yourself a note to check back in a week on the 1st and you can sign up for the next month.
Q: You said the list closes on the 21st. Well, it’s still the 21st where I am. Why aren’t you moving my information onto the list?
A: All dates and times are U.S. Eastern Standard Time (UTC/GMT -5 hours). The list closes around 11 p.m. EST on the 21st.
Q: What if no one comments on my blog and I have no comments to return?
A: Well, that really doesn’t happen for the most part, but in that case, simply choose another blog and add an additional comment. The goal is to hit 6 comments daily as a minimum. Going over that is fantastic and encouraged.
Q: Mel, my question wasn’t covered at all. What do I do?
Looking for the comment section? It has been closed on this post. Use the form in the directions to add yourself to the list.