The History of Infertility's Common Thread

For anyone who has experienced infertility or who is currently experiencing infertility. For anyone who has suffered through pregnancy loss. For those who have conceived naturally, utilized treatments, adopted, used third-party reproduction, or chose to live child-free: a movement.

It all began when Paz lamented that there should be a secret handshake for those who have experienced or are currently experiencing infertility. She was finally pregnant after multiple miscarriages and she wanted infertile women to know when looking at her pregnant belly that she was one of them still–in heart and mind. She was open to questions and to passing along any information she had obtained along the way.

This led to a lengthy discussion about a signal we could give one another as well as a tangible object that would invite questions and subsequently discussion about infertility. The conversation jumped from idea to idea–a pomegranate-shaped charm, a Livestrong-esque bracelet–until it finally settled on a simple thread.

With the idea being that it was an item that was easy to obtain no matter where you lived. It posed a minimal cost. It could be ornamented or braided any way the wearer chose. It could be sent through the mail. It was simple. It was discreet. We picked the embroidery floss #814 because it was the colour of pomegranates. Which was one of the fertility symbols considered along the way.

Royalyne stepped forward and got the ball rolling with a write up that we tweaked until it became this statement:

Pomegranates, a longstanding symbol of fertility, serve as a strong analogy to those suffering through infertility. Though each pomegranate skin is unique in colour and texture, the seeds inside are remarkably similar from fruit to fruit. Though our diagnosis is unique—endometriosis, low sperm count, luteal phase defect, or causes unknown—the emotions, those seeds on the inside, are the same from person to person. Infertility creates frustration, anger, depression, guilt, and loneliness. Compounding these emotions is the shame that drives people suffering from infertility to retreat into silence.

In addition, the seeds represent the multitude of ways one can build their family: natural conception, treatments, adoption, third-party reproduction, or even choosing to live child-free.

The pomegranate thread holds a two-fold purpose: to identify and create community between those experiencing infertility as well as create a starting point for a conversation. Women pregnant through A.R.T., families created through adoption, or couples trying to conceive during infertility can wear the thread, identifying themselves to others in this silent community. At the same time, the string serves as a gateway to conversations about infertility when people inquire about its purpose. These conversations are imperative if we are ever to remove the social stigma attached to infertility.Tie on the thread because you’re not alone. Wear to make aware.

Join us in starting this conversation about infertility by purchasing this pomegranate-coloured thread (#814 by DMC) at any craft, knitting, or variety store such as Walmart or Target. Tie it on your right wrist. Notice it on others.

Paz also created a write up that people could place on blogs, bulletin boards, and email forwards:

For anyone who has ever had a miscarriage, struggled with pregnancy, and all things infertile…there is a movement upon us that you might want to join. It’s rather simple actually: a discreet ribbon on your right wrist to signal to others that they are not alone in their struggles.

As someone who has had 5 m/c but am currently 5 months pregnant (YEAH), I wonder who looks at my big belly with sadness because they are in the month-to-month struggle. I mentioned to a friend that I wished there was some secret nod or international sign as if to say, this belly was hardwon. Well, she posted this quandary on her blog (http://www.stirrup-queens.blogspot.com/) and the response has been quite overwhelming…and a movement has been born!

The pomegranate-colored thread holds a two-fold purpose: to identify and create community between those experiencing infertility as well as create a starting point for a conversation. Women pregnant through any means, natural or A.R.T., families created through adoption or surrogacy, or couples trying to conceive during infertility or secondary infertility can wear the thread, identifying themselves to others in this silent community. At the same time, the string serves as a gateway to conversations about infertility when people inquire about its purpose. These conversations are imperative if we are ever to remove the social stigma attached to infertility.Tie on the thread because you’re not alone. Wear to make aware. Join us in starting this conversation about infertility by purchasingthis pomegranate-coloured thread (#814 by DMC) at any craft, knitting, or variety store such as Walmart or Target. Tie it on your right wrist. Notice it on others. Just thought I would pass the word along!

Lastly, we have a graphic people can add to their side bars in order to get the word out (and create a link to this post or a similar one so people understand what Infertility’s Common Thread is about). Feel free to take and place on your blog or create your own in order to get the word out to others:

and please add a link back to this post: http://stirrup-queens.blogspot.com/2006/09/history-of-infertilitys-common-thread.html.

Read more about the brainstorming that went on to create Infertility’s Common Thread and the many people who brought it to fruition through comments, discussion, and write-ups:
The Secret Handshake
Raise Your Right Hand
Operation Pomegranate
Common Thread Project

1 Suzi { 10.01.06 at 10:15 am }

This is such a wonderful idea.. I went out today and bought my 814 and made myself a bracelet, and two more for friends also…
xx

2 Gallifrey { 10.02.06 at 2:15 pm }

It is just good to know you are not alone, and although you are suffering it needn’t be in silence. Thanks to Ams for passing this on to me, so I am now going to passit on to others

3 Anonymous { 10.02.06 at 3:45 pm }

I am going to post this to a group – I hope you don’t mind. This is a wonderful idea.

4 Anonymous { 10.02.06 at 7:48 pm }

This is a great idea! I will be posting it on my board that I co host if you dont mind!!

5 The Town Criers { 10.02.06 at 8:19 pm }

Post, post away! Tell everyone you know, send it out through listservs, post it on bulletin boards and through support groups. It’s only going to work if everyone knows. They can either wear the string if they want to be open to letting others know. Or, at the very least, they can recognize the string on others and start a conversation.

6 CarolineO { 10.03.06 at 3:17 pm }

What a fantastic idea! I’ll be 44 in 2 weeks time and feel that time has run out after 20 years of ttc, but I will wear me dmc bracelet with pride. Thank you for such a great idea.

7 Vacant Uterus { 10.03.06 at 9:10 pm }

What an awesome idea! I’ll be doing this right away and posting on my blog for others to join.

8 gotrocks { 10.05.06 at 8:04 pm }

This is such a great idea! I will get mine tomorrow and spread the word to all I know. Thanks

9 Anonymous { 10.06.06 at 9:36 am }

Terrific idea!
We would like to help you spread the word. My co-author and I wrote “IVF: The Wayward Stork” and I would be honored to add this to our website http://www.thewaywardstork.com. In November, we will be traveling to various fertility clinics in the northeast for speaking engagements and book signings. You can count on us to have our fertility threads on!
Additionally, I co-manage an infertility website on MSN with over 500 members, I will be sure to add this to that site as well.

10 Anonymous { 10.06.06 at 7:21 pm }

Another idea could be these types…that way they can last longer.

11 Anonymous { 10.06.06 at 8:53 pm }

I struggled for years anf finally after 3 IVF’s, i have my miracle… i am buying this thread tomorrow and i hope many others do the same!
xoxo

12 Kimberly Chapman { 10.09.06 at 2:22 am }

Awesome idea! I’m going to post the graphic and link on my LiveJournal’s info page, plus poke through my floss to see if I have the right colour. If not, I’ll pick some up in the next week or two and make a quickie little bracelet to wear.

I have one daughter, born one year and one day ago, after five years and $25,000 of infertility treatments. I’ve always worked very hard to express my joy in a way that is respectful to those who haven’t yet succeeded in TTC.

This is a really, really good way to do that! Thanks!

13 Anonymous { 10.09.06 at 11:08 am }

Wow what a great idea. I have thought the same thought when I was pregnant that “there is hope, don’t give up, this is a hard won belly” I just had my 5th m/c and am still trying for another babe. On my way to the craft store!

14 Miriam { 10.10.06 at 12:46 am }

Wonderful idea! I am always very open about my IF so that others will know that miracles can hapen. My 3 girls attest to that!!!

15 kiwi { 10.18.06 at 7:04 pm }

This is a wonderful idea. I talked about it on my blog, to reach out to french speaking women too.

Thank you.

16 Ciao Baby { 10.21.06 at 10:54 am }

I think that this is a fabulous idea. One concern though…after looking at the thread color online (not always accurate), I kinda worry that it will look like we are all wearing the popular red Kabbalah string. Does the thread look a different color in person? Thoughts? Thanks.

17 Lisa { 10.21.06 at 10:59 pm }

This is a great idea, and I’ve already bought my string. I also posted about it on my blog (http://myvasectomyreversal.com) and mentioned it in a few online communities I’m a part of. Thanks for making it happen!

18 The Town Criers { 10.24.06 at 12:43 pm }

Lisa–I’ve been trying to leave you a message at my vasectomy reversal, but it wouldn’t let me leave a comment or send you an email. Just wanted to thank you for posting this.

19 Cibele { 10.24.06 at 9:45 pm }

what a great idea. I am going to buy mine tomorror and try o start this movemente here in Brazil too

20 Anonymous { 10.28.06 at 11:48 pm }

It is nice to know that we are not alone. It is difficult to see others that are blessed with children and feel like you are completely isolated and alone in your struggles with infertility. This bracelet will be a great comfort to me knowing that others share and have overcome the issues I fight everyday! I will purchase my 814 tomorrow.

21 Beagle { 10.31.06 at 2:11 pm }

What a great idea!

22 cluttergirl { 11.02.06 at 2:17 pm }

HI, I just looked up the color of DMC #814, and it says Dark Garnet instead of pomegranite. Is this right?? thanks.

23 Anonymous { 11.02.06 at 1:35 pm }

Did you know that a red thread on one’s wrist is a sign of being a follower of Kabbalah? (namely, the cultish Kabbalah Center) See:

24 Anonymous { 11.27.06 at 11:11 pm }

I wondered too, if the red bracelet could be mistaken for a Kabbalah bracelet. But I have a thought, in order to differentiate this from the infamous “red string,” maybe I will add four beads to my bracelet, one for each of my two children and my two angels, in the colors of their birthstones.

25 The Town Criers { 11.28.06 at 8:24 am }

Anonymous–that’s a great idea–and one that honours your children as well. A lot of people are doing things to make it their own–knoting it into “friendship” bracelets, adding charms, wrapping it multiple times.

26 Anonymous { 12.21.06 at 6:31 pm }

I just wanted to let you know that the Babycenter Canada Grief & Loss Board (www.babycenter.ca) is distributing the bracelets to our community. This is a wonderful idea and I am proud to be wearing my bracelet.
Marianne – Grief & Loss Board Moderator

27 amy { 02.03.07 at 11:38 am }

It’s a fantastic idea and looks like it’s starting to become a campaign. I’m looking for something postive to do with my baby-making energy while we wait to start our next cycle. I was thinking I could use my web skills to create a simple web page with the message from paz and the symbol, and then optimize it so it ranks really high in the search engines. could even allow google ads on it and funnel any proceeds back into paid seach. however, I don’t want to step on any toes, or duplicate work someone else may be doing that’s closer to the originators of the idea – please let me know what you think?

28 The Town Criers { 02.03.07 at 6:57 pm }

Hey, Amy–you didn’t leave a way to write back :-) Why don’t you send a note to my email (thetowncriers@gmail.com) and we can talk about the website.

29 Anna { 02.05.07 at 12:11 pm }

I’m adding the string to my blog today. What a great idea. After 4 long years of pain, procedures and loss, I have finally crossed over to the other side and have a precious baby boy. But I find that the old pain is still with me, particularly since I want and cannot have another child.

30 Kelly { 02.20.07 at 3:24 pm }

Just wanted to let everyone know that I picked up my floss today, and I also found (at Michaels) some beads that look like pomegranate seeds in size, shape and color!! I incorporated them into my bracelet, and if others want to do the same, they are Halcraft 6x10mm Ruby glass twist beads.

31 nat { 03.31.07 at 1:19 pm }

This is brilliant guys!!Does anyone know where I can get this thread in Vancouver Canada? Email me at nataliekwest@hotmail.com cuz I’d love to get this for me and my three other infertile myrtle friends.

32 oimiloy { 04.25.07 at 4:16 am }

I’m so glad i came accross this. Can I please modify your icon to make it fit the avatar guidelines for a forum that i am a mod of?

I’m an Australian and will tell all my friends, let’s make this a world wide symbol.

thanks

33 Rick -Proud Husband- { 06.03.07 at 2:55 pm }

I have never been so proud of My wife Royal on the article Operation Pomegranate. She is truly an inspiration to all the Women,Men, and couples who are suffering thru infertility and all things associated with it. I can only say that i will wear the bracelet with pride knowing that it bears true emotion and stands for a purpose that I am willing to fight for. A cure to infertility, A stand against insurance companies that have no compassion and a statement to those who dont understand that infertility is real it is not something we can just let happen without taking a stand for our bodies, our lives, our marriages, and above all for children the greatest miracle on earth. Me and my wife have struggled for a long time, we have gone thru treatments, and i truly never understood, We lost a child and it devastated us and grieves me to this day. I will wear that bracelet as a reminder everyday that I too suffer from infertility along with my wife and will do what is necessary to have a Child Stand by my wife and to better understand and to try and help others understand and cope.
My wife is my hero and all of you who struggle with infertility remind me everyday now that you are all heroes in all the things you do.

34 Sara { 06.14.07 at 2:14 pm }

I am sitting here crying- you guys are awesome- I have thought so many times horrible names when I see big pregnant bellies- because I am jealous that I don’t have one- but then I feel bad, because I don’t know how hard they had to try to get theirs- I will be making and proudly wearing my bracelet- mine will have a ribbon as well for my 3 m/c- maybe one day I too will be proudly wearing a big fat pregnant belly too. Thanks for the great idea- I think infertility issues need to be brought out and not hidden away like they are….it is nothing to be ashamed of.

35 Anonymous { 07.14.07 at 1:17 am }

My name is Jamie and we are on the third year of pain and sorrow associated with 6 losses. This is fabulous and I truly hope that Resolve and other similar organizations will pick this up and run with it. I am always surprised at the number of women/men suffering as I do online but don’t see most talk about it in reality. I will be out tomorrow to pick up floss and beads for myself and the others I know who have suffered. Thank you!

36 Keri { 07.17.07 at 12:18 pm }

At the age of 16 when I had my first miscarriage I was told that I would never be able to have children! I would be able to get pregnant but not carry them to term! The doctor said I had an issue with my uterus and cervix! His recomendation for me at 16 so I wouldn’t suffer anymore was to have a hysterectamy(sp?) My parents and I discussed it and decided against it that I was to young!! Since that first M/C I had 2 more m/c’s and then my son one of the m/c was a twin after my son I had 2 more m/c and I know have a beautiful little girl. This past march I found out I was pregnant again only to find out less than a week later that the baby was Ectopic, after having surgery to remove the baby I was distraught and I kept thinking to myself why do I keep putting myself through this? And then I see my children and think that is why to have the beautiful faces of angels look up to me and love me unconditionally! I always wanted children and a lot of them and I will keep trying until the day I hit menapause My husband and I will begin trying again as soon as he returns from deployment!!!! The idea and the thought process behind these bracelets is incredible and such a great way to pass on valuble information!!! Thank you!!!

37 Barbara { 07.21.07 at 12:23 am }

I struggled with 12 years of infertility and had my twins 10 years ago. Despite my being disabled, being a mother has made my life worth something ago.

38 Polka Dot { 08.27.07 at 10:39 am }

Here it is, almost a year after the blog, and I’m just now finding this post. I’ll be going out in the next couple of days and getting a few to make a bracelet of my own.

39 archaeogirl { 12.14.07 at 7:59 pm }

Over a year has passed since the original idea and I’m just now finding this post. Is it still spreading? Are there other websites? How many women are wearing these common threads?

I’ll be getting mine tomorrow, so the movement’s still growing by at least one… when ttc after miscarriage, anything that feels like action helps.

Best of luck to all.

40 Monica { 01.26.08 at 9:45 pm }

This is just spectacular! After five long years of meds, IUIs, IVFs and m/cs, we finally have our family. I’ve found, however, that the old wounds are always still there…always just below the surface. And I worry that the sight of me rolling through the mall with my multiples in tow could cause the same level of intense pain that I once felt. This is an amazing idea. I’m going to buy my 814! Thank you for caring enough to come up with this.

41 JackiJaguar { 03.16.08 at 2:00 pm }

This is one of the most supportive, kindest gestures I’ve ever seen. I love it and can’t wait to share it with others who are also struggling with IF. Thanks…

42 chrysallys { 03.28.08 at 5:51 pm }

This is such a wonderful idea, though I know I am coming to it late. I’ve been wearing my bracelet for almost a week now.

I also made a couple graphics, one blinkie and one not, to share if people are interested.

43 felicity { 04.18.08 at 6:42 am }

It’s a wonderful idea but I think it will be confused with Kabbalah bracelets. Maybe it should be two blue threads, for two blue lines. I am just launching into this world and reading a lot online, and there is a whole vocabulary that has evolved that is special to this situation. Something that says 2ww or OPK or TTC would send the secret message as well.

44 emilythehopeless { 06.20.08 at 8:49 am }

got mine this week.. posted about it:

really great idea.. i love knowing there are other women out there with 814′s like me..

45 BarnStar { 06.26.08 at 11:05 pm }

Just wanted to let you know that the word is still getting out about this. I m/c’ed in Jan. 08 and considered making a bracelet then. I just had my second m/c in June 08 and I finally made a bracelet tonight. You can check out the pics here: http://i28.tinypic.com/rwjc5v.jpg and http://i28.tinypic.com/w15klh.jpg. One bead for each pregnancy I lost, and a heart clasp for the love I have for the babies I’ll never know! Thanks for this awesome idea!

46 Busy Momma { 07.11.08 at 9:18 pm }

i am in tears. this is such a great idea. I will definately post this on my blog, my facebook, and anywhere else I can think of.
big hugs to everyone out there still trying for a child of their own.

47 Anonymous { 07.17.08 at 2:59 pm }

Today is July 17, 2008. Almost two years after the original message, and word is getting out still about this movement. I think I’ll make a few. I lost a child when I was 16. I have a sister-in-law who miscarried before her BFP that stuck. Also have a friend who m/c and then (after 2 healthy boys) lost a son at 8 months gestation. I think I’ll make them with charms or beads, to signify their losses.

48 The Infertility Diaries { 07.23.08 at 9:33 am }

I am going out to buy it today :D I just started blogging about my infertility and it is great to know I am not alone in this. I will link it to my blog and help spread the word!!!! THANKS :D

49 Sarah { 07.29.08 at 8:06 am }

I am just amazed. And I am SO glad I found your blog! So, so glad.

50 Rachel { 08.07.08 at 10:51 pm }

i am thrilled to add the button to my page and pass the word around!!!

how encouraging!! I lost my little one last year at birth and have yet to get pregnant….Ive got all sorts of fun internal problems that make it a skim chance… i keep praying.. and Im so excited to be a foster mommy for now!!

51 Anonymous { 08.12.08 at 5:32 am }

I have found this page 2 years after it’s original post and will be proud to wear my bracelet!! I think I’ll go out on lunch today to buy my thread!

Hang in there women – united, we stand strong :)

And to the women who started this movement – KUDOS!

52 Anonymous { 10.09.08 at 2:11 am }

I just found out about this too- two years after it was first posted. I will DEFINITELY share it with other dealing with infertility!

I’ve been struggling with infertility for 2 years (hardly any time compared to some others, but still a significant feat) and also have severe endometriosis with a blocked tube, adhesions and suffer all of the physical, emotional, and financial pains these things come with. When I see a pregnant woman in public, I admit I am jealous, and then quickly remind myself that she could have been suffering like me at one point. Not always though.

I think this Pomegranate Thread is a wonderful idea! I was thinking that we needed a bracelet or ribbon of some sort to promote infertility awareness, but this “secret handshake” will do for now. I understand not all infertility patients want to announce to the world what they’re going through but seeing another infertile person with the Pomegranate Thread is enough to make me think twice. What you see on their right wrist stands for more than words could ever explain. Starting a conversation would be great, but the thread alone is worth a thousand words.

The Kabbalah thing also came to mind when I read that it was similar in color, but reading further, this Pomegranate Thread can be worn braided, or decorated in various ways, not necessarily just a single piece of thread. I thought about twisting two strands to signify my two years, but I’m afraid it will still look too thin and too similar to a Kabbalah string. I may have to make knots or add beads like someone mentioned or charms instead onto a thicker, almost rope-like bracelet. For those that want words like TTC or something similar, you can get beads with the letters on them and incorporate them into your bracelet.

Again, thanks for starting this and I’ll pass it on!

53 The Pifer's { 02.17.09 at 3:22 pm }

I love this blog!!!!! I found this from another fellow blogger!!!!

54 Lynn and Mike { 02.23.09 at 12:38 pm }

Great blog! Just what I needed today!

55 Anonymous { 04.08.09 at 11:49 pm }

So happy to have found this site-I hope this movement continues, my loneliness feels more diluted…I too will wear the thread.

56 Sarang { 04.30.09 at 2:25 pm }

The pomegranate thread is going strong in San Francisco…we have a large group of women who wear their bracelets and continue to pass them on…thank you for this symbol of hope and understanding.

57 Mrs.Tiye { 07.15.09 at 1:51 am }

I love this! Adding it to my blog!

58 J { 08.24.09 at 10:46 am }

Love this too and just added it to my own blog…. I'll be heading to AC Moore after work to grab some 814 for a bracelet for me, and one for a coworker who just had her first IVF baby :)

59 Abbee { 08.30.09 at 7:34 am }

I, too, just want to say thanx. I loved this idea from the minute I read about it. I have made several bracelets for myself & friends that I know affected by IF. I wore mine for the first time last night to a function with friends. Of course there were lots of kids, a few babies & even a close friend that is 8 months pregnant. Even though I was beginning to be hopeful with the start of our first IVF cycle, it was still very difficult to see her huge belly. Any time that I felt sad or became tearful I would touch my thread and remind myself that I was not alone. I finally felt like I "knew" people that understaood me (even though none were physically in my presence) and it helped. I will be trying to spread this idea in my area to help others who feel like I…like we do. :0)

60 tamberlee { 09.11.09 at 3:43 pm }

I LOVE this site! Or should I say this BLOG! I have been through so much–surgery, 4 m/c's, emotional pain, etc.–and absolutely love the idea of having this bracelet. I am going to buy the things needed to create my own. It will probably have something for representation of my unsuccessful pregnancies. I am 27 and not giving up! =)

61 Show and Tell « IF Crossroads … { 10.28.09 at 7:45 pm }

[...] has donned the Pomegranate colored string as Infertility’s Common Thread. Here is a link: http://www.stirrup-queens.com/2006/09/history-of-infertilitys-common-thread/ to the post that describes the history of where the pomegranate colored thread started. Anyway, [...]

62 sunnymama { 12.04.09 at 4:32 pm }

I think this is a wonderful idea! I’ve added it to my blog and posted about it here:

63 Busted Kate { 12.15.09 at 6:04 pm }

If anyone would like HTML code that contains the “Thread” icon with a hyperlink back to this post, I have posted the raw HTML here: http://www.bustedplumbing.com/2009/12/infertilitys-common-thread-raw-html.html

64 Lisa Marsh { 02.01.10 at 9:50 am }

Hi Mel, Kate or anyone else who can help me,

I have tried to set up a Notes Typelist (typepad) of the icon(Infertility’s Common Thread) in my sidebar at least a dozen times, by cutting and pasting the code into the typelist box. I have tried this with Mel’s original link in the blog above, and with Kate’s raw HTML, even though I have absolutely no idea what that means. Every time I do it, I get the code printed in text on my blog’s sidebar. I have never gotten the image itself. I am able to do the same thing with ICLW every month, so why not the thread image? I know that many of you are able to add lovely images and icons to your blogs, but I am self-taught, a little late to the game and learning as I go along. It’s incredibly frustrating. I can’t tell you how many hours I have spent going back and forth to the HELP pages.

Any wisdom, ladies? I would be very grateful.
Lisa

65 Jennifer { 02.14.10 at 11:45 pm }

I couldn’t get the image to look right on my blog, but maybe’s it’s just my computer. So I threw together this image. If you copy and paste this code in your blog sidebar, it will put the image with a link back to this post.

66 Jennifer { 02.14.10 at 11:47 pm }

ugh, sorry, REMOVE THE STARS and this code will work

67 SWMama { 02.24.10 at 1:43 pm }

I just found this… what a great idea. I’ve made it a point to be open about our infertility struggles precisely so other women won’t see my daughter and my growing belly (both products of IVF) and assume that they are alone, as I often did when we were going through the process. This is such a great idea, though, because it’s not always appropriate to just bust out with one’s infertility story… Thanks again!

68 Jenni Saake "InfertilityMom" { 05.07.10 at 7:40 pm }

Adding the thread to my blog at HannahsHopeBook.blogspot.com
Thank you!

69 Elisabeth { 06.05.10 at 2:02 pm }

To comment on the thread being connected to the Kabbalah that is a GOOD thing. It is otherwise known as the Tree of Life, and if you read up on the mysticism (not the religion), you may be quite amazed and proud at the symbolism of this beautiful sacred pomegranate thread! So what about this thought?

I am interested in hosting a week of inspiration during infertility week next year in San Francisco. RESOLVE is a great resource but I have tried and tried to get them to bring more empowerment and inspiration into the conversation. They will come on board if enough people are interested, but I am ready to host this event next year, and get helpers to help. I agree with the other posts: Women going through this need a voice and a meetup; healing closure, peace, and community. Would anyone be interested? Do you think people will come? Call it something like “She’s Owning Her Creations” or “Fertile Life Expo” or “National Fertile Me Week” and dedicate it to women who are still creating just in other ways, and also for those who are moving into different ways of becoming a mother, and still others are honored in their grieving and loss. Need names help… Host Bloggers and speakers that transform…break into groups for women to heal and grow from their experience…it sounds like it might be time. What are your thoughts, anyone? PLEASE email me directly to get a pulse if this is a good idea or not! elisabeth@consciousconception.net. Meanwhile I will be posting the thread and the two above posts on my website. Wonderful way of being of service. So grateful.

70 Unwavering Hope { 06.19.10 at 10:17 am }

I feel inspired and encouraged by all of you strong, courageous women! Thank you for you candidness. Blogging and reading blogs has truly been a light….a way to network and read about others who are going through the same thing. I feel so blessed to live in this time and place where we can find this kind of support. Thank you to all. As I am about to embark on my first IVF cycle, I look to all of you for support and your prayers! Happy ICLW!!

71 It’s not Kabbalah. « CasuALLY Musing { 08.13.10 at 10:00 pm }

[...] It’s called Infertility’s Common Thread, and to read the back story, click here —–>  The History of Infertility’s Common Thread [...]

72 mindee choi { 08.26.10 at 6:31 pm }

This is so encouraging. I am going through IVF right now, and I know exactly how you feel. We’re not alone! We will be okay.

73 josie { 03.20.11 at 9:43 pm }

at our last support group meeting, our leader passed around the 814 thread and we made simple bracelets to wear. several folks have asked me about it and I have had the opportunity to explain

74 IUI#2 = Fail « Seeking Shirley { 03.21.11 at 12:10 pm }

[...] regards to the Common Thread bracelets- check out the history of the Common Thread bracelet from THE Stirrup Queen and my inspiration to make my own and for my local gals – Mrs S. from Him + Me = Three? [...]

75 Infertility's Common Thread Challenge - Long Term Trying To Conceive Forum { 05.27.11 at 7:13 pm }

[...] Common Thread Challenge I encourage everyone experiencing infertility to visit this website if you have not already. i copied this from the site. "Pomegranates, a longstanding symbol [...]

76 Marjorie Maciel { 07.28.11 at 10:32 am }

I am interested in purchasing one of your thread bracelets. I live in Tracy yet am in the Sacramento area quite often as I have a daughter that lives in Rocklin and have mission training every other Saturday starting 8/20. To save on the shipping fee I might pick up the bracelet if I knew exactly where you’re located. Look forward to hearing from you.

77 Resümée « Lavendeltraum { 09.04.11 at 4:13 am }

[...] bin ich denn gerade über diese Seite hier gestolpert. Eigentlich hatte ich ja wirklich gedacht, das alles verarbeitet zu haben. Ist immerhin [...]

78 Infertility thread « Who you callin' INFERTILE?! { 09.24.11 at 10:37 pm }

[...] member of the AT:TNL group on BBC posted this article and I wanted to spread the [...]

79 Before You Post, Read This Please! { 01.07.12 at 9:21 am }

[...] Belstaff Jackets UK,Belstaff Jackets Sale,Belstaff UK Sale Store. Belstaff jackets lead the way How to check the quality of Belstaff jackets Brilliant Belstaff Man Collection Jackets Black In Lowest Price Belstaff Blousons have top and [...]

80 Thoughts on ICLW « TheStorkDiaries { 01.29.12 at 6:32 pm }

[...] as the cranberry thread or bracelet, is the unofficial official symbol of infertility, I think this should be the unofficial official poem of infertility.  It is short, sensational, [...]

81 Screw Fertility-Free Friday. | Return to Go { 04.13.12 at 3:10 pm }

[...] I have been working on a project related to Infertility’s Common Thread.  The ALI common thread was a movement thought up by Mel at Stirrups Queens, as well as other [...]

82 Janice { 06.12.12 at 12:15 pm }

thank you! its nice to know that we are not alone – even though it may feel like it most days!

83 Pre-D&C | Dog Mom Chasing the Stork { 07.30.12 at 2:52 am }

[...] this life event along with our IF journey. I like the Faces of Loss heart with feet and the idea of Infertility’s Common Thread. In fact, I think I want to make a friendship bracelet with this thread while I’m laying on [...]

84 Common Thread | Plan Y { 07.28.13 at 1:10 pm }

[...] Common Thread [...]

85 Saturdays Are For Crafting | AbbyGabs { 12.07.13 at 2:37 pm }

[…] for this project a little over two weeks ago. Thanks to Pinterest, I found an article called “The History of Infertility’s Common Thread.” I’d been searching for infertility awareness jewelry, and intrigued, I clicked over […]